- To make California Berry Sauce, lightly crush strawberries.
- Mix strawberries, raspberries and Sugar in saucepan.
- Bring to boil, stirring often, until mixture naps a spoon.
- Cool slightly. Puree in blender or processor.
- Mix in lemon juice. Pass through fine sieve to remove seeds. Cover and set aside.
- Makes 6 cups.
- To make chocolate soufflé batter, soak gelatin in water.
- In saucepan, melt chocolate and butter; add gelatin.
- Stir until completely melted and smooth. Cool.
- Mix in egg yokes to blend thoroughly.
- In bowl, using balloon whisk, whip egg whites to form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the Sugar, whipping to form semi-soft peaks.
- Whip half the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
- Turn into bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- For each serving, to order:
- With additional butter and sugar, butter and sugar a 6-ounce snuffle dish.
- Fill with ¾-cup ladle chocolate Soufflé Batter.
- Bake in center of 400 °F oven 9 to 12 minutes, just until snuffle is risen, cracked on top and firm about one inch around edge.
- Center should be soft.
- Immediately dust with powdered sugar and place on plate.
- Garnish plate with strawberries.
- Present to diner and open top of snuffle with two forks.
- Serve with a small pitcher containing ¼-cup California Berry Sauce.
- Pour a little of the sauce into snuffle and leave remaining sauce on table.