- 1 sheet (½ of 17½ oz pkg) frozen puff pastry
- 1 cup finely shredded peeled apple
- ¾ cup ground pecans
- ½ cup vanilla wafer crumbs (about 15 wafers)
- ½ cup Hershey's cocoa or Hershey's Dutch processed cocoa
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter or margarine, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp water
- Powdered sugar drizzle (recipe follows)
- Chocolate chip drizzle (recipe follows)
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 425 °F.
- Sprinkle cookie sheet with cold water.
- Stir together apple, pecans, crumbs and cocoa in medium bowl.
- Stir together butter, sugar, 1 egg and vanilla in small bowl; add to apple mixture, stirring gently until well blended.
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin to 12x10-inch rectangle.
- Spoon apple mixture lengthwise down center of pastry.
- Lightly beat remaining 1 egg and water.
- Fold one side of pastry over apple mixture; brush long edge with egg mixture.
- Brush long edge of remaining side of pastry with egg mixture; fold over filling.
- Press edges together to seal.
- Place, seam-side down, on prepared cookie sheet.
- Brush with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool about 20 minutes.
- Prepare Powdered sugar drizzle and Chocolate chip drizzle; drizzle over strudel.
- Cut into slices.
Powdered sugar drizzle Edit
- Stir together ¾ cup powdered sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk in small bowl until smooth and of desired consistency.
Chocolate chip drizzle Edit
- Place ¼ cup Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1½ teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarines
- Spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds; stir.
- In necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.