- 1 Tbs. distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- chocolate Ganache for frosting (optional)
- 1 cup pureed silken tofu
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. (Do not use glass baking pan or bars will get too dark and dry.)
Bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan and feels almost firm in center, about 25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool until cake is firm enough to cut, about 30 minutes.
While in pan, cut into bars and serve. Or, to frost, invert cake onto a plate or cutting board. Spread ganache on warm cake and let stand until ganache is firm enough to cut without smearing, about 1 hour.