Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 4 to 6 people
- oil for frying
Orange sugar Edit
- zest from 2 oranges
- Combine milk, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl and let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature, covered.
- Whisk in the flour and allow this to sit tor 30 to 40 minutes, covered.
- The starter will rise and double in volume
- Put the starter into the bowl of a mixer with a dough hook and add the flour and salt.
- Mix on low speed for 3 minutes and then add the eggs one at a time to form dough.
- Increase the speed to medium and add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Allow this to mix on medium high for 12 minutes until a smooth and shiny ball has formed.
- Lightly cover with oil and leave covered in a bowl for a couple hours at room temperature to rise.
- Punch the dough down and lightly flour a work surface to roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼ Inch.
- Cut out 1½ inch circles of dough and place on a clean sheet tray. If not using right away, these may be stored in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to cook, place a ½ oz piece of chocolate in the middle of 8 circles and lightly brush the edges of the circles with water.
- Top each circle with another dough circle and lightly press together.
- Fry at 350°F, turning beignets while cooking until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Allow to cool slightly and dust with orange sugar.