Chipotle Chicken Soup from the Public Health Cookbook—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 3
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 x 14½ oz can of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped (or 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat about 4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, chipotle peppers, sugar and salt.
- Bring to boiling then reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add tomatoes and cilantro.