Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 green peppers
- 2 eggs, separated
- 9 oz (250 g) lean boneless pork
- 2 tsp flour
- ½ tsp scallions, chopped
- ½ tsp cornstarch (cornflour)
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp spiced pepper-salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp msg (optional)
- ¼ tsp five-spice powder
- Wash, halve length-wise, and seed the green peppers.
- Cut each half into two triangles and dry well.
- Set aside.
- For the filling, mince the pork and mix it with the scallions, ginger, salt, soy sauce, five-spice powder, msg (optional), and half the egg white.
- Beat the rest of the egg whites with the yolks and mix with the flour, cornstarch and enough water to make a thick batter.
- Fill the inside of each piece of pepper with the filling level to edges and coat the filled side with flour.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat to 350°F (175°C) or until a piece of scallion green or ginger sizzles and moves about rapidly when tossed into the oil.
- Dip the filled side of each piece of pepper into the egg batter and then drop it into the oil, filled side down.
- Deep-fry until the coating is golden brown, then remove, drain well, and place in a dish, sprinkle with the pepper-salt and serve.