Serve as a meal for 4 or as part of a banquet for 4–6. Only use the freshest eggs for this. By scrambling the eggs first, you retain the very best qualities of the eggs – fluffy, light texture and vibrant yellow hue. This is delicious served with some freshly sliced chilli.
- 6 free-range eggs
- ⅔ cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely diced ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 4 cups steamed rice
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, extra
- 1⅓ cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage leaves
- Place eggs in a bowl with spring onions, soy sauce and ginger and lightly beat with a fork to combine.
- Heat oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- Add onion and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Pour in egg mixture and leave to cook for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1½ minutes or until almost cooked through.
- Add rice and extra soy sauce and stir-fry for about 1½ minutes, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces.
- Lastly, toss in cabbage and stir-fry for 20 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.
- Transfer rice to a platter and serve.