A classic recipe made with flavorful beef chuck roast and simmered to fork-tender perfection.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: www.txbeef.org
- Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 1½ hours
- Servings: Serves 8
- 2½ lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 3 tbsp ancho chili powder, divided
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14½ oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges
- Cut beef into ½-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle with 1 tbsp chili powder; toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot; brown half of beef.
- Remove from stockpot; repeat with remaining beef.
- Season with salt.
- Heat remaining oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 – 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add bell pepper and poblano pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add beef, tomatoes, remaining chili powder,cocoa powder and cinnamon; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1½ to 1¾ hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges, as desired.
Nutritional information Edit
- 246 calories | 10g fat (3g saturated fat, 2g monounsaturated fat) | 53 mg cholesterol | 682 mg sodium | 12g carbs | 1.6g fiber | 29g protein | 4.6 mg niacin | 0.4 mg vitamin B6 | 1.9mcg vitamin B12 | 3.1 mg iron | 27.4mcg selenium | 6.5 mg zinc