Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook
- Serves 4 to 6
- 1½ lbs chopped beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped red and/or green bell pepper
- 2 to 4 tbsp finely chopped chili pepper
- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- 2 to 3 tbsp Tex-Mex spice or chili powder
- Brown beef in a deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- Lift out beef.
- Cook and stir onion, garlic and peppers in skillet, adding bacon fat if needed until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Return meat to skillet.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, broth and Tex-Mex spice.
- Bring to a boil; cover and cook over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes.