Makes 6 servings.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 fresh or pickled jalapenos, seeded, and minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon crushed oregano leaves
- 1 x 14½ to 16 ounce can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1 pound shark fillets, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft but not brown.
- Stir in garlic, jalapenos, paprika, cumin and oregano.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover tortillas with warm water; let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain; tear into small pieces.
- Add fish and tortillas to tomato mixture.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve over fluffy rice.