In New Mexico...it"s spelled chile.. Makes 12 (2") pieces.
- 1 cup + 2 tb yellow cornmeal
- 2 TSP baking powder
- 1/2 TSP baking soda
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1/4 cup whole Wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg + 1 egg white, lightly-beaten
- 1/4 cup sharp chedder cheese
- 2 tbsp mild green chile, chopped or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat an 8" square baking pan with now stick cooking spray and dust with 2 tablespoon of cornmeal.
- Sift into a large bowl the remaining cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, Cheese and chile or chile, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and place in upper third of oven. Bake 10 minutes or until dough is firm in center.
Food exchange per serving: 1 starch/bread exchange + ½ fat exchange cho: 28 mg; car: 28 mg; 4g; pro: 4g; 253 mg; fat: 2g;