- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 x 28 oz can Herdez Salsa Casera 
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked al dente
Directions == Edit
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over high heat.
- Break up the meat to the desired consistency.
- Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and black pepper.
- Stir well and add the broth and salsa.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked pasta (time it so you do not have to rinse it) to the chili and mix thoroughly.
In Popular Culture Edit
On the 2002 WB television show "Do Over" , the un-aired 15th and final episode entitled "Chilghetti", featured the main character Joel (Penn Badgley) attempting to convince his mother Karen (Gigi Rice) that marketing chilghetti was a poor idea. Joel goes so far as to sabotage the batch of chilghetti that his mother is bringing to the bank to convince a loan officer of the potential of the dish. His protests were based on his knowledge of the future and he refused to change his mind until he realized he hadn't actually tasted the dish. Upon sampling it, he realized the error of his ways and rushed to correct his sabotage.