Curry powder gives this side dish a taste of India. Serve over brown rice.
Fruits and Veggies Matter, Adult Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 1 x 19-oz can chickpeas, rinsed.
- 1 x 14-oz can no-sodium-added diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 x 10-oz bag fresh spinach, stems removed
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- Combine onion and ginger in food processor and pulse until minced.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion mixture and curry. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, water, and salt. Cook another minute until spinach wilts.
- If you don’t have a food processor, chop onion and ginger into small pieces.
- Try with other beans, such as navy beans, black-eyed peas, or lentils instead of chickpeas. These beans should be cooked before using in this recipe.