- Slice the mushrooms and grate the cheese.
- Soak the dried chickpeas / butter beans as instructed on the packet.
- Drain, and cook in a pan of unsalted boiling water for 40 – 50 minutes or until tender.
- If using canned beans, just drain.
- Put the beans in a large greased ovenproof dish.
- Add the lemon juice and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms, then add to the dish.
- Heat the margarine in a non-stick saucepan and add the flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes over a low heat, stirring, then slowly add the water to make a puring sauce.
- Pour over the chickpeas / butter beans and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Cook in the oven at 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 for 25 minutes.
Either butter beans or chickpeas can be used in this recipe.