Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chickpea Stew from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: About 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- low-fat cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium and low-fat vegetable broth
- 1½ cups water
- 1 x 10 ounce package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 x 15 ounce can chickpeas (also labeled as garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with low-fat cooking spray then raise heat to medium-high.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and stir-fry until onion is tender.
- Stir in cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water, corn and oregano then raise heat to bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, then stir thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer for 3–4 minutes.
- Serve stew with a sprinkle of green onions.