Chicken with Mangoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 1 piece fresh ginger root (2x1 inches)
- 8 green onions
- 1 can (15 ounces) mangoes
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn-starch
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Combine flour, 1 cup of the water, the salt and baking powder in a medium size bowl. Beat with whisk until blended. Let stand 15 minutes. 2. Cut skinless and boneless chicken into 1/4 inch wide strips. Mix them into flour mixture.
3. Cut ginger into wafer-thin slices. Cut onions into 1/2 inch pieces. Drain mangoes and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.
4. Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375F. Add chicken one strip at a time. Cook until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Leave about 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger to oil in wok. Stir-fry until ginger is light brown.
6. Combine remaining 3/4 cup water, the vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, bouillon and sesame oil. Carefully add to ginger all at once. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Add onions. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
7. Mix chicken and mangoes into soy sauce mixture. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Serve immediately. ________________________________________________________ Darlene BC