- 2 – 3 tbsp palm oil, peanut oil, or other oil for frying chicken
- 1 chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 – 3 onions, chopped
- 2 or more cups of chicken broth or chicken stock, or bouillon cubes
- 2 tomatoes, or canned tomatoes, or tomato paste or tomato sauce
- 1 cup egusi seeds (or substitute), roasted and ground
- several sprigs of parsley, or similar
- cayenne pepper or red pepper, black pepper, salt
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Fry the chicken and onions until the chicken is well browned, but not done.
- As chicken is browning, bring chicken broth or stock to a slow boil in a large pot.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Add egusi and stir until smooth.
- Allow to cook several minutes.
- Add chicken and onions to broth.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done.
- Add parsley and seasonings to taste.
- Add water if needed, to make soup thinner as desired.
- Serve with fufu or rice.