- Combine garlic, salt, pepper, ginger and saffron.
- Add ½ butter and stir well.
- Rub it all over chicken.
- Allow to marinate overnight.
- Put chicken in large pan.
- Add ½ parsley and cilantro, green onions, cinnamon stick and just enough water to cover; bring to boil, simmer 1 hour.
- Melt remaining butter and saute red onion until well browned.
- Remove chicken from pan; add onion, chickpeas and remaining herbs to the remaining liquid, simmer until liquid is reduced to a sauce.
- Add lemon juice, remove from heat; discard the cinnamon, pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with remaining parsley and cilantro and serve.