Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here is a family-style dish to be served any time of year. It is a substantial soup stew, well seasoned in Afghan style & combined w/a crispy-bottomed rice provides contrasting texture to stew. The stew & rice are served separately.
- 5 c -water
- 4 Chicken legs and
- 4 Chicken thighs, loose skin -discarded
- 1 c Dried chick-Peas, soaked in -water overnight & drained
- 2 md (1 cup) onions, chopped
- 1 Rib celery w/leaves, sliced
- 1 lg carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 (1/2 lb) zucchini, sliced
- 1 ts salt, or to taste
- 1/4 ts pepper
- 1/4 ts Ground cuminseed
- 1/4 c Fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/4 c Fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 4 c water
- To prepare stew: Bring water to a boil, add Chicken pieces, & remove foam as it cooks. Add chick-Peas, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, salt, pepper, & cuminseed. Cover pan & cook over moderate heat for 45 mins. Add coriander, dill, & lemon juice & simmer over low heat for 15 mins more. This is sufficient to tenderized Chicken & ingrate all seasonings.
- To prepare rice: Bring 4 c water & salt to a boil in pan. Add rice & cook over moderate heat for 5 mins. Drain rice in colander & rinse w/cold water. Return rice to pan and pour oil over all. Cover pan & cook over low heat for 1/2 hr. No other water is added & rice cooks only moisture clings to it after rinsing. The rice will develop a crisp bottom layer.
- Serve rice & stew separately. Each diner takes their own portion of rice & covers it w/as much stew as they wish. Serve warm.