- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless and boneless chicken, cut into 1-inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup low sodium, nonfat chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (alternatively, you may use water)
- 1 14-ounce can of peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup brine-cured pitted green olives
1.Combine flour, salt and pepper into a medium bowl. Add chicken strips and toss to coat.
2.Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the chicken then brown all sides. Transfer chicken to a plate then set aside.
3.Reduce heat to medium then add garlic and onion and cook until onions turn translucent. Add the bell pepper and cook an additional 5 minutes.
4.Stir in the broth, wine, tomatoes, olives and chicken. Cook for about 15 minutes or until bell peppers are tender then serve.
- Chicken Vegetable Stew from the Public Health Cookbook—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain