Makes 2 servings.
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup chicken broth, divided
- ¼ cup plum jelly
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice powder
- dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- Sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- Dip chicken in egg, then in crumbs seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Cook breast halves in oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Add ¼ cup broth. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is opaque.
- Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Add jelly, vinegar, soy sauce, seasoning, pepper sauce and cornstarch dissolved in remaining broth to skillet.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce is clear and thickened. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.