Makes 6 servings.
- 12 choice chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sherry or dry white wine
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Brown chicken in butter and oil in large skillet about 15 minutes. Pour off drippings; season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add wine, juice, onion and mushrooms to skillet; stir to loosen brown particles. Cover and simmer about 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water.
- Add to skillet with green pepper; cook until liquid is clear and thickened.
- Serve chicken and sauce on rice.