Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Ladies' Home Journal
- Makes 8 Servings
- Prep: 1 Hour
- Start to Finish: 5 Hours
- 1¾ cups coconut milk
- 3 lemongrass stalks, tough outer leaves removed, trimmed, first 4 inchesfrom root end chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped shallot
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (1½ pounds) skirt steak, cut crosswise into 24 (1-by-5-inch) strips
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut diagonally into 18 (1-by-5-inch) strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus additional for grill
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon purchased red curry paste
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts, finely ground
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 42 (8-inch-long) bamboo skewers (soaked in water 30 minutes)
- ⅓ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pulse together coconut milk, the lemongrass, shallot, 2 tablespoons juice, the fish sauce, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, the garlic, salt, cumin, and turmeric in a food processor until smooth.
- Divide mixture between 2 resealable plastic bags, place steak in one and chicken in the other, then seal bags and turn until meat is coated well.
- Marinate, chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight, placing bags in large bowls to catch any leaks.
- Heat oil in a small heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- Add curry paste and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves,about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining ¾ cup coconut milk, the peanuts, cilantro, and remaining 2 tablespoons juice (or to taste),for peanut dipping sauce.
- Remove steak and chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and thread on drained skewers.
- Preheat grill and lightly oil rack.
- Combine vinegar and granulated sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes, for basting sauce.
- Grill meat, brushing both sides with basting sauce during last minute of cooking, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes, and steak, turning once, about 2 minutes for medium-rare (discard remaining basting sauce).
- Arrange skewers on a platter and serve with peanut dipping sauce.