This sauce does double duty, delivering tons of flavor and healthy asparagus at the same time. Make it a meal: Serve alongside brown rice and a green salad.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Eating Well (Test Kitchen)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅔ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp + ¼ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 each boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 – 1¼ lb), trimmed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ⅔ cup shredded gruyère cheese
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Add asparagus; cover and steam for 3 minutes.
- Uncover, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Whisk broth and 2 teaspoons flour in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the remaining ¼ cup flour in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side, adjusting heat as needed to prevent scorching.
- Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add shallot, wine and the reserved broth mixture to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in sour cream, tarragon, lemon juice and the reserved asparagus until combined.
- Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat with the sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of each piece of chicken, cover and continue cooking until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Nutrition al information Edit
- 306 Calories | 15g Fat | 5g Saturated Fat | 5g Monounsaturated Fat | 31g Protein | 91 mg Cholesterol | 7g Carbs | 1g Dietary Fiber | 343 mg Potassium | 298 mg Sodium
- Nutrition Bonus - Selenium (36% daily value) | Calcium (25% dv) | good source of omega-3s