Chicken Tikka from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 2 hours to marinate, 30 minutes to prepare
- Serves: 4
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅔ cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, smashed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Sprinkle with salt and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Thread chicken onto skewers.
- Brush marinade on all sides then cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Grill chicken for 15–20 minutes, turning often, until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, make the dipping sauce by combining the yogurt and mint.