A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 to 2½ cups canned chicken (or pre-cooked)
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 5 cups lettuce, shredded
- 5 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1½ cups tomatoes, diced
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 10 flour tortillas, 7 inch
- Fill a tea kettle or 2 quart saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Remove excess fat from chilled chicken and place in colander over a large bowl. Spread out with a fork. Pour hot water over meat through colander.
- Place chicken in plastic container with tight fitting lid.
- Add onions, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika to chicken.
- Refrigerate chicken overnight in plastic container with tight fitting lid.
- To make tacos, place chicken mixture in a pan and heat slowly or heat in microwave for 2–3 minutes, stirring after 1½ minutes to heat evenly. Combine finely shredded lettuce and cabbage. Mix cheeses together. Place ¼ cup heated chicken mixture in a tortilla and top with cheese and vegetables.
- Add salsa as desired.