Tender and lightly seasoned, this simple dish can be a complete meal with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
- Chicken Skiller Supper from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 1½ hours
- Serves: 4
- Place chicken, skin side down, in cold skillet.
- Brown over medium heat, turning to brown inside.
- Remove from heat (chicken skin can easily be removed at this point).
- Pour off all fat remaining in skillet.
- Replace chicken, pour soup and water over chicken, and add seasonings.
- Simmer 1 hour in covered skillet, turning pieces once to keep them moist.
- May be frozen after cooking.
- Tomato special: Substitute ½ can of cream of tomato for vegetarian-vegetable soup. Add 1 package (10 oz.) of mixed frozen vegetables with the soup and water.
- Creamy chicken: Substitute ½ can of cream of chicken for vegetarian vegetable soup, add 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas and carrots.