- 1 x 3 lb. Chicken
- 1 x bay leaf
- 1 med Onion, quartered
- 1 whl clove
- 2 x Ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 x carrot, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup Chopped celery leaves
- 20 x black peppercorns, tied in
- A piece of cheesecloth
- 1/2 cup Uncooked white rice
- salt & freshly ground black
- 3 x carrots, thinly sliced on
- The diagonal
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped flat-leaf
- Wash the Chicken thoroughly.
- Remove the skin and any pieces of fat.
- Pin the bay leaf to 1 Onion quarter with the clove.
- Place the Chicken in a large pot with the tomatoes, Onion quarters, 1 carrot, celery leaves, and peppercorn bundle.
- Add 10 cups cold water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off the fat and foam that rise to the surface.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, skimming often to remove the fat.
- Remove the Chicken from the broth and let cool.
- Strain the broth into a large saucepan, pressing the vegetables to extract the juices.
- Pull the Chicken meat off the bones and shred or finely dice it.
- Add the rice, salt, and pepper to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced carrots and celery to the soup with the shredded Chicken and half the parsley.
- Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve at once.