Ranch dressing mix coats the chicken strips and serves as a salad glaze for these healthy pita sandwiches.
- Prep: 20 minutes - Bake: 4 minutes
- Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- ½ (1-ounce) envelope dry ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (6 to 7-inch) pita fold breads
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- ½ cup red bell pepper strips
- 4 onion slices, halved, separated
- ⅓ cup Land o Lakes ® sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Coat chicken pieces with 2 teaspoons salad dressing mix.
- Heat oil in 8 or 10-inch skillet; add chicken pieces.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (5 to 7 minutes).
- Cover; continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink (5 to 7 minutes).
- Uncover; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, wrap pita breads in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, red bell pepper and onions in medium bowl.
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise and remaining salad dressing mix in small bowl.
- Stir in milk.
- Pour mixture over lettuce; toss lightly.
- Add chicken; toss gently to coat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into warm pitas.
- Fold in half; secure with toothpicks, if desired.
Make-ahead tip Edit
Prepare and cook chicken mixture up to 1 day ahead. Just before serving, place chicken mixture in microwave- safe bowl; cover with waxed paper. Microwave on medium (50% power) until mixture is warmed (2 to 3 minutes). Heat pita breads as directed above. Continue assembling pitas as directed above.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1 sandwich:
- Calories 370 | fat 14 g | cholesterol 50 mg | sodium 450 mg | carbohydrates 39 g | dietary fiber 3 g | protein 21 g