Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 x 16-ounce package mixed frozen vegetables
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ cups baking mix
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, thyme, sage and pepper. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add flour, cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking 4 to 6 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in vegetables; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in rice, chicken and parsley; cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes more. Place in 2½-quart casserole.
- Combine baking mix, buttermilk and green onions in medium bowl. Gently stir, just until dough comes together.
- Form dough into 9-inch long log on lightly floured surface; cut crosswise into 6½-inch rounds. Or roll out dough on lightly floured surface to ½-inch thickness and cut with different shaped cookie cutters.
- Or top casserole with biscuits, spacing evenly. Bake in 425°F oven for 20 minutes until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- May be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.