A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- Pastry for 9”-10” 2-crust pie (frozen or homemade)
- 5⅓ tablespoons margarine
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup instant non-fat dry milk + ⅔ cup water (or ⅔ cup non-fat milk)
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 1 (15½ ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (15½ ounce) can carrots, drained
- 2½ to 3 cups chicken, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat margarine in saucepan until melted. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and milk. Heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in onions, vegetables, and chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken mixture into pastry lined dish. Cover with remaining pastry. Pinch edges to seal crust.
- Bake at 425°F for about 35 minutes until top is golden brown and mixture is bubbly.