Chicken Oregano with Sweet Peppers and Rice from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1.5 lbs chicken pieces, skin removed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried and crushed)
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium, sweet green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium, sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- cooked white rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Cook chicken over medium heat until light brown (about 15 minutes), turning once.
- Reduce heat.
- Sprinkle garlic, lemon, half of tomato, onion, parsley and oregano over chicken pieces in skillet.
- Add wine and broth.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining tomato and sweet peppers, cover and continue to simmer for 7–10 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Serve with cooked rice.