Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Pryor estate in Grapevine, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 chicken cut into pieces
- 1½ pounds okra pods trimmed
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 quarts water, hot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Dredge chicken in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper the fry in bacon drippings until golden brown. Set aside.
- In separate skillet fry the trimmed okra pods with tomato in the shortening. Set aside.
- Add flour to the grease in which the chicken was fried and prepare a dark roux.
- When roux is ready add chicken and okra mixture. Stir briefly then add hot water.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer 2 hours.
- Serve over mounds of white rice.