Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Servings: 8
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lb chicken breast
- 1 cup potato
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup carrot (½ medium carrot)
- ¼ cup celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks scallions (green onions)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup okra
- Add oil to large pot and heat over medium flame.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly stir in all broth using wire whisk.
- Cook for two minutes. Broth mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add rest of ingredients except okra.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve hot in bowl or over rice.
Nutritional information Edit
- 165 Calories | 4g Total Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 81mg Sodium | 11g Carbs | 2g Dietary Fiber | 51mg Cholesterol | 21g Protein
- Carb Choices: ½