Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Servings: 8
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lb chicken breast
- 1 cup potato
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup carrot (½ medium carrot)
- ¼ cup celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks scallions (green onions)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup okra
- Add oil to large pot and heat over medium flame.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly stir in all broth using wire whisk.
- Cook for two minutes. Broth mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add rest of ingredients except okra.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve hot in bowl or over rice.
Nutritional information Edit
- 165 Calories | 4g Total Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 81mg Sodium | 11g Carbs | 2g Dietary Fiber | 51mg Cholesterol | 21g Protein
- Carb Choices: ½