Makes 8 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1 broiler fryer (about 2½ pounds), cut up
- ¼ pound smoked ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound sliced okra
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sliced onion
- ¾ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon gumbo filé
- Cook chicken and ham in butter in large skillet until lightly browned.
- Add okra, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, parsley, salt, bay leaf, pepper and water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from bones, but do not chop into small pieces.
- Return chicken to soup.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Just before serving, sprinkle file lightly over soup, stirring constantly.
- Ladle gumbo into bowls and top with hot rice.