Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 to 4 pound chicken, cut into pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 medium carrots or 3 cups, sliced ¼-inch thick on bias
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 inch peeled ginger
- 1½ cups chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth, divided
- 2 ounces fresh thyme leaves
- 1 habanero, pierced
- 1 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in oven roasting pan.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown in hot pan, remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add butter and sauté onions for five minutes or until soft.
- Add carrots (and any additional vegetables), garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
- Add 4 cups of hot chicken stock, thyme and habanero.
- In a separate bowl, whisk peanut butter and tomato paste into remaining 2 cups of stock and add to the pan.
- Add the chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 2 to 2½ hours or until chicken falls from bones.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be served with rice, potatoes or noodles.