Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup onion, sliced very thin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into 4 pieces each
- 4 cups red cabbage, shredded fine
- 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
- ½ cup dry red wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the sliced onion, ¼ cup oil and garlic in a saute pan, cook on medium until onion turns a deep gold.
- Add shredded cabbage, stir to coat well, sprinkle with salt.
- Cover pan and simmer cabbage for 40 minutes.
- Turn from time to time, until cabbage is tender and considerably reduced in bulk.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- In a second pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add chicken in a single layer, skin-side down; brown well on both sides.
- Transfer chicken to the pan with the cabbage.
- Add wine and a few grinding of pepper, cover pan and continue cooking about 45 minutes.
- The chicken will be very tender and the cabbage will have nearly melted into a dark sauce.