Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A thick stew with mini-dumplings.
- 1½ kilo of chicken (1½ large chickens) skinned and cut in pieces
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon each black pepper, cumin powder
- a pinch of red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 rounded tablespoon crushed oregano leaves (or zatar)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- chicken broth (or bouillon cubes with water)
- 2 – 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- a handful of freshly chopped parsley, cilantro or coriander
- ⅔ cup white flour
- ⅔ cup brown flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup prepared milk
- In a medium-large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in a small amount of oil, until the onions are slightly browned.
- Add the chicken, spices, sugar, and tomato paste and saute while stirring over heat for a minute or two.
- Add chicken broth to fill the saucepan up an inch or two over the chicken pieces.
- Add the chopped carrots, tomatoes, parsley and zucchini (optional).
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add salt to taste.
- Prepare dough for the dumplings: mix the white and brown flours with the baking powder.
- Add the oil and milk.
- Stir with a fork just until mixed; do not over mix the dough.
- Handling a third of the dough at a time, roll on a lightly floured surface until thin.
- Cut in small squares, approximately 2 cm by 2 cm.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, "throw" the mini-dumplings in the pot.
- Stir gently, just a little, to cover the dumplings in the liquid.
- Add more chicken broth or salt, if needed.
- The final product should be a thick stew, neither dry nor watery.
- Simmer another 10 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked.
- Serve hot.