Makes 6 servings.
- 2½ to 3 pounds choice chicken pieces
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 x 8-ounce can jellied cranberry sauce, cubed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons chicken base or 2 bouillon cubes
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Dust chicken pieces with mixture of flour, salt, onion powder and pepper. Reserve any leftover seasoned flour.
- Brown chicken in large skillet in oil on all sides.
- Meanwhile, combine 1½ cups orange juice, cranberry sauce, mustard, cloves and chicken base. Heat until cranberry sauce is melted.
- Pour over chicken; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until Chicken is tender.
- Blend remaining ½ cup orange juice into reserved seasoned flour.
- Pour into pan juices; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve over beds of fluffy rice.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds, and garnish with orange and lemon slices, if desired.