Makes 8 servings.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice seasoning blend
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups (about 6 ounces) diced cooked chicken
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups cooked rice
- Place oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add flour to hot oil stirring constantly.
- Cook roux until mixture is a dark, chocolate color.
- Add onions, celery, green pepper, garlic and seasoning blend.
- Heat chicken stock in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Stir in roux gradually until well blended; cook 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken; cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add green onions and parsley 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice.