Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving 1½ cups
- 3 lbs chicken, cut in pieces
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- 9 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 celery stalks with leaves
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1½ cup green beans cut, fresh
- Place chicken, water, leaves from celery and small onion in a large saucepan.
- (reserve celery stalks).
- Cover saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 ½ hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken.
- Strain broth into bowl; chill until fat sets on top.
- Remove fat.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken, discard.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, set aside. (My note: if you want less than 8 servings, freeze extra broth and chicken separately in meal-sized portions).
- Return broth to saucepan.
- Chop reserved celery stalks, add to broth with chopped onion, carrot, parsley, barley, lemon juice, seasonings.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add fresh green beans and chicken; continue cooking 15 minutes or until beans are tender.