Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here's a thrifty way to use up leftover cooked chicken or a bit of the holiday turkey by making Chicken à la King. Serve this over buttered toast points, rice, biscuits or baked puff pastry.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 4 ounces mushroom stems and pieces, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimento
- Cook peas, onion, and green bell pepper in boiling water, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain and save the liquid.
- Blend flour with the milk.
- Combine vegetable cooking liquid, broth, and seasonings; slowly stir into the flour mixture.
- Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Add chicken and the cooked vegetables, mushrooms and pimento.
- Heat thoroughly and serve.
- Serves 6.
Things You'll Need Edit
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cooking spoon
- Strainer or colander
Sources and Citations Edit
- Family Fare a Guide to Good Nutrition, #1, USDA