Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe assumes dried garbanzos. If you use canned, make sure that you rinse them well and remove the skins, as described.
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups dried garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (garbanzos) or 4 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water or chicken stock (about)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 – 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon slices (to garnish)
- Soak the beans overnight in warm water.
- Strain and dust with baking soda.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with hot water and rub a few at a time between your fingers to remove the skins (discard the skins).
- Place in strainer and rinse thoroughly for several minutes.
- Put into a large pot along with enough water or chicken stock to cover and bring to a boil, skimming off the foam as it rises.
- Add the onions, tomato, rosemary, garlic, oil, salt and pepper and simmer covered until the beans split; about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Serve hot with lemon slices.