This recipe assumes dried garbanzos. If you use canned, make sure that you rinse them well and remove the skins, as described.
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups dried garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (garbanzos) or 4 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water or chicken stock (about)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 – 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon slices (to garnish)
- Soak the beans overnight in warm water.
- Strain and dust with baking soda.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with hot water and rub a few at a time between your fingers to remove the skins (discard the skins).
- Place in strainer and rinse thoroughly for several minutes.
- Put into a large pot along with enough water or chicken stock to cover and bring to a boil, skimming off the foam as it rises.
- Add the onions, tomato, rosemary, garlic, oil, salt and pepper and simmer covered until the beans split; about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Serve hot with lemon slices.