These chewy ginger cookies are soft and delicately flavored.
- Chewy Ginger Cookies from the Wikibooks Cookbook—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Cook Time: 15 minutes prep, 11 minutes baking
- Serves: 48 – 54
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- extra sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 350°F (200°C).
- Cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add the egg and stir in the molasses.
- Combine the baking soda, flour, spices and salt in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures.
- Shape into small (2cm diameter) balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Do not flatten balls.
- Bake for about 11 minutes.