This is a great vegetarian Christmas alternative to Turkey. Serves 6.
- butter and dried breadcrumbs - for lining the loaf tin,
- dried chestnuts - 350 g (12 oz) or 1 kg (2 lb) fresh chestnuts,
- butter - 50 g (2 oz),
- Onion - 1 large; chopped,
- celery - 2 sticks finely chopped,
- garlic cloves - 2 crushed,
- Fresh sage - 2 tbsp chopped + 1 leaf to garnish,
- red wine - 1 tbsp,
- egg - 1.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4. Prepare a 450 g (1 lb) loaf tin by lining the base and narrow sides with a long strip of silicon paper; brush well with butter and sprinkle lightly with dried breadcrumbs.
3. For fresh chestnuts: Nick each with a knife then simmer in plenty of water for about 10 minutes until the cuts open. Take the chestnuts from the water one by one and strip off the skins with a sharp, pointed knife. Put the skinned chestnuts in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 20-30 minutes until tender.