Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a great vegetarian Christmas alternative to Turkey. Serves 6.
- butter and dried breadcrumbs - for lining the loaf tin,
- dried chestnuts - 350 g (12 oz) or 1 kg (2 lb) fresh chestnuts,
- butter - 50 g (2 oz),
- Onion - 1 large; chopped,
- celery - 2 sticks finely chopped,
- garlic cloves - 2 crushed,
- Fresh sage - 2 tbsp chopped + 1 leaf to garnish,
- red wine - 1 tbsp,
- egg - 1.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4. Prepare a 450 g (1 lb) loaf tin by lining the base and narrow sides with a long strip of silicon paper; brush well with butter and sprinkle lightly with dried breadcrumbs.
3. For fresh chestnuts: Nick each with a knife then simmer in plenty of water for about 10 minutes until the cuts open. Take the chestnuts from the water one by one and strip off the skins with a sharp, pointed knife. Put the skinned chestnuts in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 20-30 minutes until tender.