Recipe from United Soybean Board
- 2½ quart soybeans, cooked and drained
- 10 oz fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (1¼ qt)
- 2½ cups onions, finely chopped (13 oz)
- ¼ cup garlic, minced (1 oz)
- 1¼ cups carrots, grated (7 oz)
- 1¼ cups soy protein isolates (5 oz)
- ⅔ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2½ tsp salt
- 1¼ tsp ground pepper
- 5 eggs, beaten
- soybean oil as needed
- 24 lemon wedges
- Coarsely mash cooked soybeans until lumpy.
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
- Form ⅓-cup portions into patties.
- Cook on a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat until thoroughly heated and browned on both sides.
- Serve 2 cakes per serving with a lemon wedge.
To cook soybeans Edit
- Add 1 pound dry soybeans to 1½ to 2 quarts boiling water; boil 5 minutes.
- Cover pot, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain; add 1½ quarts water.
- Do not add salt at this point or it will delay the softening of the beans.
- Bring beans and water to boil; reduce heat and simmer, with lid tilted on pot, about 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Yield: 1 to 1½ quarts cooked beans.