Cherries, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- 2 cans red tart cherries with juice
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2½ cups oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.
- Add undrained cherries.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Set aside.
- Mix oats, flour, baking soda, and brown sugar until crumbly.
- Place half of crumb mixture into 9” x 9” baking pan.
- Pour cooked cherry mixture over crumbs.
- Top with other half of crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 30–35 minutes until lightly browned.