Per serving: 160 calories, 1 bread, 1 fruit, and 1 fat exchange
- 16 oz (1) can water-packed sour cherries
- ½ cup sweet milk (recipe below)
- ½ cup packed dates
- ¼ cup light oil
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp low fat soy flour
- 2 tbsp non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Prepare an 8 inch square cake pan. Oil and flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain waterpacked cherries. After cherries have drained will, measure 1 cup of them and set aside.
- In blender purée together ½ cup sweet milk with ½ cup packed dates.
- Blend oil, egg yolks and applesauce.
- Set aside next to cherries.
- In a small bowl beat 2 egg whites until stiff and set asid.
- In a large bowl combine flours, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir well.
- Gradually mix blended liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until well moistened.
- Gently stir in cherries. Then fold in the egg whites just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Cool cake to room temperature.
- Refrigerate covered.