- pre-baked single pie crust
- 2 cans (16 oz) unsweetened red cherries
- 1 cup liquid from the cherries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp almond flavoring
- 1 cup sugar substitute
Whipped Topping Edit
- ½ cup instant dry milk
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup dry sugar substitute (opt)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Drain cherries well, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Set cherries aside and combine 1 cup liquid and cornstarch.
- Cook and stir over moderate heat until thickened and transparent and the starchy taste is gone.
- Remove from heat and add sugar substitute, almond flavoring and cherries.
- Taste and add more sweetener, if desired.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Spread filling evenly in crust.
- Let set at least 15 minutes.