- Makes about 2½ dozen cookies and about ½ cup glaze.
- ⅔ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey's cocoa
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 18 maraschino cherries, well-drained and halved
Chocolate glaze Edit
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl until fluffy.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture (dough will be stiff).
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place about 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press cherry half into center of each ball.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until almost set.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare chocolate glaze.
- Frost each cookie, leaving top of cherry showing.
- Prepare cookies as directed omitting cherries.
- Bake and glaze as directed.
- Top each cookie with pecan half.